Monday, November 1, 2010

October? Where are you?

Another month has come and gone.  My favorite season, Fall, is very much upon us and I couldn't be enjoying it more.  The fireplace has been going, flannel sheets are on, and the stink bugs are almost gone (I hope!).

Jacob has completed his 2nd full month of Kindergarten and he is loving every minute of it.  I started to volunteer in his class twice a month and am very impressed with the curriculum.  Unfortunately, his shortened school day leaves no time for recess or any fun for that matter.  Needless to say, he is VERY energetic when he gets home which is not my favorite part of the day.  His soccer season just came to a close and I am sad to see it over.  He did very well and scored two goals of his own.  He also tried his hand at being the Goalie and, I must say, I don't like the feeling I get when my son is the one in charge of the net.  As his mom, I hope that his defense can keep the ball away but, let's face it, defense at this age consists of a cluster of kids all kicking the ball and knocking each other down.  He enjoyed it and, in the end, that's what matters most.  He will continue with indoor soccer later in the winter. 

Kyla is still a terror with a size 7 shoe.  She has no problem saying "NO!" and running off.  She has been doing so well with using the bathroom, she is now diaperless at night.  It feels so good to pass right through the diaper section of the coupon book!  We are still looking to transition her to a bigger bed, which will hopefully give her a better night's sleep.  It seems like bad dreams have been contributing to her middle of the night wakings lately.  She is an animal wrangler in every sense of the word.  I tell her MANY times a day to get off the dog(s) and cat(s) to which she says, "I can't".  I'm starting to believe she really can't leave them alone.  I am happy to see she has the 'animal love' gene but it would be nice if she'd listen for just once!

At the advice of friends, I have started to parent using 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan.  It is working like a charm.  Jake has a hard time with number 1, always asking if I can erase it.  Kyla will nod at me after each number and sulk her way to her time out spot.  She is hard headed, like her daddy, but she is getting it.  It is a very easy method to use which makes me very happy!

Halloween has come and gone and we all had a great time.  Jake decided on G.I. Joe and Kyla was a witch for our neighborhood trick or treating.  Randy and I took the kids to Halloween in the Park on the 29th and I am happy to say we stumbled upon a new tradition.  The State Park nearby has a weekend in which people sponsor campsites, decorate them for Halloween, and the kids can trick or treat in the evening.  Some of the sites were so well done and the kids were able to collect candy without having to worry about knocking on doors or cars going by.  We've already discussed sponsoring a campsite in future years to keep the tradition going.

All in all, October was a very busy yet great month.  It is my favorite and will be missed until next year.  Good news is, we have everything to look forward to in November.  One good thing about to happen is the end of the political commercials and phone calls!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment