Wednesday, November 24, 2010

'dicks and 'duff

Did the title get your attention?  No worries, it got me too when Kyla gave me a stick and asked me if I'd like to 'dick fight.  How could I turn that down?  She was so proud of the sticks she had found and couldn't wait to beat me at her own game.  I gave my stick to Jake so he could join in the fun but she quickly grabbed it from his hand and said, "No, Mommy, dis you 'dick."  Aw, thanks Kyla, just what I always wanted! 

Kyla is two and a half.  I absolutely love this age minus the lack of "shush time".  Between the two of them, my ears might as well be bloody by the end of the day.  I take it all in stride.  Afterall, I will blink and find them in their rooms nearly all day long and telling me their day was fine while rolling their eyes.  Despite how hard the days and weeks may seem, I would like to pause, if just for a short time.

It's nice to know the way we speak at home is really sinking into her little mind.  Every time I sneeze (which happens to be a lot lately), Kyla tells me "bess you".  If I sneeze more than once, she says, "Oh my goohness, gah bess you".  Tonight, she reminded me to "cover you mouf cuz das gwoss".  Just this week, I asked her if she wanted something in particular when she responded with a 'no' and 'thanks for asking'.  It goes to show that how we speak to one another most of the time is how she will speak to others.  I don't find this a difficult task yet I am amazed with how many people don't speak the basics of 'please' and 'thank you'.

While both of my children are learning to master the English language, I can't help but enjoy the mistakes and feel a little sad that this too shall pass.  Jake likes it when I take his 'tenchaper' (temperature) and he often answers a question with a very innocent 'yeth'.  Kyla likes to tell me 'das kayzee' when, in fact, she is the crazy one around here.  Her latest word is 'thingamajigger' to which I cannot even begin to tell you how she has butchered that word because it could be offensive, though she and Jake have no idea what she just said. 

I will most certainly miss these days.  I try each and every day to find the best and enjoy it because it will soon become a memory.  Watching my kids grow and learn from day to day has been a huge blessing and one that's bittersweet.  Kyla is in such a hurry to go to school and do everything herself.  Being my last baby, I wish she'd slow down and smell the roses with me.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! And yes the title did get my attention! It is amazing what little sponges they are right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing what they pick up on.

    ReplyDelete